My Birth Story

Hey guys!

I know I haven’t been on here for a while but being a mom to a newborn is truly demanding although very rewarding. I am so in love with my baby and my love for him keeps growing more and more each day. R & I are so blessed and happy to have him in our lives and despite the sleepless nights, Alden completes us.

Since he is napping right now (which I should be doing too), I decided to sneak in some time to blog because I can’t wait to share with you my birth story as promised in my last post. Throughout my entire pregnancy, I look forward to that special moment and when it finally came, it was life changing.

I am lucky to have had a wonderful pregnancy. The only time I had a “hard” time was in my first trimester with the morning sickness and the super emotional roller coaster rides I was on. However, I didn’t really have any big complaints with my pregnancy; no feet and hand swelling, no complications and no major discomfort. Nevertheless, with a life changing experience, nothing comes easy. And despite opting to go for an all natural birth,  I didn’t get the opportunity to go down that route. This was definitely an eye-opening moment for me, as I thought to myself, “I’ve had a healthy pregnancy, I can deliver naturally right?”. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

So, how did it go?

Alden’s due date was 6/24 and the last couple of weeks leading up to that date, I got out of nesting mode and got down to business. I walked a lot and I was super active. My mom and I went on a short hike near our house, we went to Ikea numerous times and I walked around the pool doing squats etc. daily. However, none of those things worked for me because I just knew that my baby was going to be overdue. For one, I didn’t even know how I looked like down there because my midwives didn’t believe in checking internally unless if there was an issue. So, going into the 39th week, I still didn’t know if my cervix has dilated or if it was still closed shut.

I started working from home in my 40th week and I did as many things as I could to pamper myself before baby got here. I started getting really restless in my last week because I had no signs of labor at all! I even ended up doing all the cliche things that people say would help with inducing labor like, eating pineapples, spicy food, drinking thyme tea and breast pumping. I ALMOST resorted to eating the Eggplant Parmigiana at Scalini’s because I heard that the recipe had a reputation of putting women to labor right away. Anyways, at my 40th week check-up, I was overdue, and baby was still not here. They also placed me on the fetal monitoring  device to check baby’s vitals and to see if I’m contracting. Verdict? Baby’s heart rate was great and yes, I was contracting! Anyways, we talked about induction because I was just so done with waiting and just could not wait to have him. I told our midwife that if nothing picks up within 24 hours, I’d like to be induced Friday night.

On Friday (Alden’s due date), I waited for the phone call from the hospital about going in for the induction because my contractions did not pick up overnight. As much as I was against inducing, I thought that it was best for me to do it because Alden was ready for sure and we had family in town and I had to recover by the following Thursday for something important. I basically had to fight my way in the queue for the induction at Northside because mentally, I have arrived at a decision to finally go for it. Unfortunately, because Northside is quite the baby factory like it is claimed to be, I could not get in that night itself. They finally called me at 5:30 AM and told me to be at the hospital by 7:30 AM. I didn’t get checked into my room until 9 AM.

Phase 1

The induction process started with priming my cervix, of which I had to take medications orally every 4 hours to soften it. I had to take two doses of this tablet, and after 8 hours, I was 2 cm dilated. After that, my midwife inserted a Cooks Catheter inside my vajayjay which stretched my cervix open to 4 centimeters. The insertion process was very uncomfortable and  to make matters worse, the catheter itself wasn’t comfortable either. I started experiencing painful contractions at this time and because I still had a long way to go, I requested for some pain meds to help take the edge off so I could sleep. My mucus plug came out that night while I was using the bathroom and one of the nurses checked me and said that I was getting very close, but she was wrong. The next morning, my catheter was removed around 10 AM which meant I had it in me for a total of 14 hours, and at that time I was finally 4 centimeters dilated. Yay! Party time!




Phase 2

I told my midwives that I wanted a natural, drug free, delivery. Northside hospital was great at accommodating this and I LOVED my midwife. She was awesome. They took out the birthing ball, prepped a rocking chair for me, set up my bed, anything to keep me mobile. I had to be hooked on to the IV and had Pitocin given to me to induce my labor, so i wasn’t completely unhooked, but I  was able to move around which helped so much. I was placed on Pitocin at 11 AM and I managed through all of my contractions with no epidural but with a strong mind and lots of back massages from family & friends for  a total of 12 hours. Thank god for them! My midwife broke my water around 8 PM and my contractions got more intense after. I remember being 6 cm when she broke my water and for the next three hours, I felt a strong urge to push my baby out. At this time, I was starting to get really tired but I kept on going because I knew that we were close. I was in so much pain that I didn’t really comprehend what was going on around me; I was in another world.

I found out during labor too that Alden was not in a posterior position. So, I was on all fours on the hospital bed a lot to try to wiggle him down into the correct position. I have to say that Alden was such a strong little boy. His vitals stayed on point for 12 something hours until the very end when I started getting tired, was when his heart rate started dipping. All I could remember at this phase was how my mind is such a strong & powerful thing. If I hadn’t been mentally strong to endure the pain, I would’ve quit a long time ago. But as I felt every wave of contractions, I said to myself, “Each surge will bring me close to my baby”, and that was what kept me on.

Back to the L&D room, when I told midwife Nicole that I was ready to push Alden out, she checked me and lo and behold.. I was only 6.5 cm dilated. All that pain, all that misery, all that excitement that I’ve held in for more than 24 hours now to see my baby, all gone. I was done. I felt like I was going to die. I was physically and mentally spent. Midwife Nicole cut back my pitocin and told me to rest. At this point, they offered me pain drugs, of which I said yes to, and that includes an epidural. I just wanted everything to be over and I wanted my baby to be OK.





Phase 3

I don’t remember much of this phase but I remember getting my epidural and I was finally able to sleep. My midwife and everyone else stayed around to monitor my progress but I wasn’t progressing. My blood pressure was really low and Alden’s heart rate was still on the low side too. They also tried putting fluids back in my uterus but that didn’t help either. When I woke up, I remember R standing next to me telling me that we were going to go for a Cesarean. I was OK with it because I just wanted everything to be over and I want to kiss my baby. This was probably 4.30 AM? They wheeled me to the OR and I remember being awake the entire surgery because I didn’t want to  pass out under anesthesia. R was next to me taking pics and talking to me? I can’t remember but when Alden was born, they showed him to me over the partition, “Here’s ur baby!”, and I hear him crying in the background as I said my prayers. Alhamdulillah. They brought him to me and I cried. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do but I love this guy so much. He is finally here. He is perfect. My life is complete.



What made this even more special to me is to see how wonderful R is throughout this entire experience. I am so grateful to have him in my life and seeing him around our child, melts my heart every time. He is such a natural. We were brought to recovery and R made it easier for me because he is quite the jokester and he just knows how to make me laugh. I love him with all my heart. ❤

So, that’s my birth story to my first born, Alden Marc. It was length, painful and traumatizing (lol), but it was WORTH it. My son is beautiful. Our son is perfect.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.